Some Before and After Mattes

I thought I'd talk a little about the mattes I did for the movie 100 million BC. I spent a lot of time working on these, and they're the first successful photorealistic pictures I've done. This first one I was supposed to make it look like a giant drop down.

The before image.

This picture took far longer then what I ended up going with. It was decided it should be more of a drop and less of an angle so I ended up completely scrapping this.

This final image ended up using reference my boss shot in Hawaii with a couple of clouds slapped on top and some greenery to bring it all together. The final image took less then a day, but the inbetween variations took much longer.