Now I'm the first to admit I have a long way to go on becoming a photorealistic painter, so when my boss came to me and decided I was ready to handle creating a dino skeleton I was both honored and terrified. It seemed the challenge escalated with each matte, so by this later one I was feeling quite confident. I said, "of course I can do that" and gave it my best. Next I need to get off of this photo crutch. I still have so much to learn
Here's what I came out with. For all of these I ended up using Creative Common images I found on flickr. Next time I do this, I'm going on a field trip and shooting my own ref. It will be more my own, more fun, and I'll have far more control. I don't even think this way is cheaper, for the time I needed to spend making the found images work. With that said, I think this turned out well.